Retired Cryptocloud forum
Retired Cryptocloud forum

forum moved to permanent home at cryptocloud.org!
 
HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
Latest topics
September 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
     12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum


Share | 
 

 Thanks for the heads up on the maintenance - NOT

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rhodis



Posts : 1
Join date : 2012-08-05

PostSubject: Thanks for the heads up on the maintenance - NOT   Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:34 am

As you are supposedly a professional company (i.e. you take our money to provide a service), we should get notified WELL IN ADVANCE of your maintenance via EMAIL so that we have time to do such things as TEST and MAKE SURE PPTP ACTUALLY WORKS prior to basically getting cut off with NO ADVANCE NOTIFICATION unless we happen to be checking your damned forum.

If I communicated at my job as poorly as you have done, I WOULD BE FIRED.

You guys have shown me exactly how unprofessional you are, and, more importantly, THAT YOU ARE UNTRUSTWORTHY.

You have lost a customer and since I was told of your service by others who are like-minded, you have no doubt lost others as well.

Live and learn.

***UPDATE***

Wow, they actually responded TODAY to my REPEATED attempts to verify my service was cancelled and I would no longer be billed!!! Here is the email from HAZE (CEO) showing that after WEEKS of waiting for a response, he didn't even READ the mail:

<
Great news, closing the ticket.

Regards,
Haze, CEO

Ticket History Posted On: 14 August 2012 05:42 PM

I am trying to get a status on the ticket I submitted SEVEN DAYS AGO:

Ticket ID: IHO-168-50971
Subject: Cancellation
Department: Cryptocloud Support
Type: Issue
Status: Open
Priority: Critical
>

More proof this company has no idea what customer service is... Of course, I now need to try and get a refund for the $19.95 I was charged on Aug 21st... FUN stuff.


Last edited by Rhodis on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:58 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : new info)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thesaint707



Posts : 38
Join date : 2012-05-24
Age : 55
Location : My own private Idaho on Mt. Olympus

PostSubject: Notification   Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:32 am

Rhodis-

I am sorry you feel the way you do, it is an unfortunate consequence of the 7 year history of business we have had. Our customers years ago decided they did not want to be notified of all the little things we did by email so we thought Twitter, the Forums and the Blog would suffice. We are a privacy company who wishes to work with our customers in anyway possible to maintain those desires. Possibly we could find a way to make it up to you? If not thank you for your prior patronage.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cryptocloud.com
Pattern_Juggled
Admin
avatar

Posts : 57
Join date : 2012-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Thanks for the heads up on the maintenance - NOT   Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:11 pm

I can see how folks might be frustrated at the communication on this upgrade. Frankly, I think it could have been handled a bit better. My $0.02.

That said, I think it's worth remembering what priorities are when deciding who to use for privacy service. Fumbled communications on network upgrades are, all things considered, nowhere near the top of my personal list. Personally, I'm far more concerned about whether the network itself is secure, whether the company is serious about privacy, and whether I can count on them when the chips are down.

There's ready examples of so-called "privacy" companies selling out their customers when thugs-with-badges put a tidbit of pressure on them (read: HMA... i.e. confirmed snitchware) - and, given that, it's hard to see that minor stuff like upgrade communications are really such a Big Deal.

Hell... there's VPN companies out there pimping PPTP-based services as if they're anything more than window-dressing security-wise. If one of those companies does better in communicating about network downtime, would you really choose them over someone with serious privacy technology? Not me.

In an ideal world, this company would do everything perfectly - not just the serious network and tech stuff, but also communications and whatnot. But it's not an ideal world. Not even close. Given that, I prioritize my own decisions based on what matters... and what doesn't.

Your mileage may vary, etc.

- Pt_Jd
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://2600.com
Blah



Posts : 8
Join date : 2012-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Thanks for the heads up on the maintenance - NOT   Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:28 pm

So basically, VPN service, undergoing mysterious security upgrades for a mysterious period of time. And with no idea how long that time period is. Well, security will be brilliant because NO ONE CAN USE IT.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
revint



Posts : 18
Join date : 2012-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Thanks for the heads up on the maintenance - NOT   Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:50 pm

perhaps there should be a notification message or banner on the client software and the homepage, of the cryptocloud website. to inform people when the next scheduled maintenance will occur.

just my thoughts on the matter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pattern_Juggled
Admin
avatar

Posts : 57
Join date : 2012-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Thanks for the heads up on the maintenance - NOT   Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:26 pm

revint wrote:
perhaps there should be a notification message or banner on the client software and the homepage, of the cryptocloud website. to inform people when the next scheduled maintenance will occur.

just my thoughts on the matter.

It's tempting idea, but consider this: any added functionality on the client side will, by definition, open up possible security risks. Or to put it another way: the addition of any extra functionality in any software project decreases security, ceteris paribus.

There's plenty of tools to promulgate announcements: Twitter, RSS, forum posts, blog, email updates... which is to say I don't think it's a lack of comm channels that's the problem here but rather a simple error in how they're being used. Again, that's just my $0.02 - but it seems pretty clearcut to me.

The job of the client app is to secure the VPN tunnel. Period. Anything else is scope-creep. Do one thing and do it very, very well.

- Pt_Jd
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://2600.com
revint



Posts : 18
Join date : 2012-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Thanks for the heads up on the maintenance - NOT   Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:39 pm

Pattern_Juggled wrote:
revint wrote:
perhaps there should be a notification message or banner on the client software and the homepage, of the cryptocloud website. to inform people when the next scheduled maintenance will occur.

just my thoughts on the matter.

It's tempting idea, but consider this: any added functionality on the client side will, by definition, open up possible security risks. Or to put it another way: the addition of any extra functionality in any software project decreases security, ceteris paribus.

There's plenty of tools to promulgate announcements: Twitter, RSS, forum posts, blog, email updates... which is to say I don't think it's a lack of comm channels that's the problem here but rather a simple error in how they're being used. Again, that's just my $0.02 - but it seems pretty clearcut to me.

The job of the client app is to secure the VPN tunnel. Period. Anything else is scope-creep. Do one thing and do it very, very well.

- Pt_Jd

Makes since. Still would be nice to have a banner or something on the companies website telling people when the service will come down for maintenance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blah



Posts : 8
Join date : 2012-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Thanks for the heads up on the maintenance - NOT   Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:07 am

revint wrote:
Pattern_Juggled wrote:
revint wrote:
perhaps there should be a notification message or banner on the client software and the homepage, of the cryptocloud website. to inform people when the next scheduled maintenance will occur.

just my thoughts on the matter.

It's tempting idea, but consider this: any added functionality on the client side will, by definition, open up possible security risks. Or to put it another way: the addition of any extra functionality in any software project decreases security, ceteris paribus.

There's plenty of tools to promulgate announcements: Twitter, RSS, forum posts, blog, email updates... which is to say I don't think it's a lack of comm channels that's the problem here but rather a simple error in how they're being used. Again, that's just my $0.02 - but it seems pretty clearcut to me.

The job of the client app is to secure the VPN tunnel. Period. Anything else is scope-creep. Do one thing and do it very, very well.

- Pt_Jd

Makes since. Still would be nice to have a banner or something on the companies website telling people when the service will come down for maintenance.
In advance. And regular updates and information on the progress. Which thankfully we seem to be getting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pattern_Juggled
Admin
avatar

Posts : 57
Join date : 2012-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Thanks for the heads up on the maintenance - NOT   Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:30 am

Blah wrote:
In advance. And regular updates and information on the progress. Which thankfully we seem to be getting.

I agree with you guys 100%, and I'll do what I can to bring that to fruition.

Progress comes through improvements - and through honest, frank feedback. So... thanks.

Tally ho,

- Pt_Jd
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://2600.com
h1443206



Posts : 4
Join date : 2012-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Thanks for the heads up on the maintenance - NOT   Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:55 pm

Part of the problem for me is that I don't know who or what to follow to get information on these issues. The CryptocloudVPN twitter account has a bunch of links to stuff that has nothing to do with the Cryptocloud service. For example, it spams and reposts so many articles on piracy or privacy or what-have-you so that when the service message is posted saying the service will be down for 24 hours, it is lost in a lot of junk. Same goes for thesaint's twitter account. One thing that would greatly help is a dedicated service account that just posted about the service, and not other stuff. For example, "US East server is currently down. We are investigating." Or "Cryptocloud VPN service will be down for 24 hours some time this week." "Cryptocloud is back up and working properly". Etc.

Secondly, while the forum is working fine, and much better than the last forum, I have a small complain that echoes the first. Is Pattern_Juggled a mod or a user? I ask because he's posting some information that suggests that he might be a moderator or someone who is familiar with the service itself, giving ETAs on the downtime and everything. My problem is that now, much like the spam that goes in the twitter accounts, a bunch of articles are being posted in the "technically speaking' section of the board, which I assume should be reserved for people having actual technical issues with the service, and not general interest articles - those should be in general discussion, no?

The blog has two posts. The first says there will be another blog update in the coming days, and the second is notifiying of the downtime. THe problem is that the blog post notifying of the downtime wasn't posted until the downtime already started. Moreover, the information wasn't correct it seems because a lot of users have had issues with pptp conenctions when that wasnt supposed to happen.

So in conclusion the blog is too slow to post news, the twitter accounts are filled with too many links that have nothign to do with cryptocloud, and the forum postings are now becoming jumbled.

my easy suggestion is a twitter account dedicated to ONLY cryptocloud server information like "netherlands service is currently down," "uswest pptp does not currently support twitter. sorry!," "scheduled maintenance on the 24th of june will shut the service down for 24 hours", "netherlands is back up and working properly," and so on.


And I forgot to add that in some of the support threads, there's references to encryptica.com and these servers:
USNC -> United States East Coast servers in North Carolina
USDE -> United States East Coast servers in Delaware
USWC -> United States West Coast servers in California
NL -> The Netherlands / Holland

But what are those addresses? why are there references to servers in switzerland and luxemberg? a lot of the information is outdated, or wrong. Why is there no master list, ANYWHERE, on the site, support page, or forum that lists all of the servers, and the correct pptp addresses? None of this information is centralized and current.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pattern_Juggled
Admin
avatar

Posts : 57
Join date : 2012-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Thanks for the heads up on the maintenance - NOT   Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:23 pm

1. Here's an update on the network upgrade - looks like OpenVPN is back online ahead of schedule.

2. I'm a moderator here at the forum (check the listed mods at the bottom of the page to confirm), and while I'm not any sort of official insider I _do_ occasionally get information from inside the mothership. I agreed to help out with mod duties because, simply put, I think this company is a (relatively) undiscovered gem and I want to help out.

3. I agree re the Twitter account, fwiw. Not much I can do about it, to be honest, but there you go.

4. I've posted a few tech articles in one of the subforums here, and I'm hoping the admins will in fact _create_ a subforum secifically for discussing more general security-related stuff like that. I realize right now they're sort of orphaned in a tangentially-related subforum, and for that I apologize. I believe/hope there will be some ongoing evolution of the tree of subforums here at this place, so it's efficient for folks to find what they want, when they want it... but that'll likely be a work in progress for a while yet. I'm a big fan of discussing and exploring deeper technical issues relating to network security, so please bear with me as I do my little part to make such information available to folks here in a convenient and useful manner.

5. I don't have info to answer your question about the server and Encryptica stuff... but I'm curious and I'll see what I can do to find out.

6. Finally, I'm going through old posts and doing my best to bring them current with verified information, e.g. an up-to-date server list. With my (not really) massive moderator powers, I can make edits to old posts - which is what I'm doing. So, slowly but surely, things should come more up to speed as the days go by.

Please by all means keep the feedback coming. I can't promise we'll always agree on what steps to take to make things better... but I know that the discussion/debate will improve the outcomes for everyone involved.

Thanks.

- Pt_Jd
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://2600.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Thanks for the heads up on the maintenance - NOT   

Back to top Go down
 
Thanks for the heads up on the maintenance - NOT
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Heads up Europeans
» Toriko: Gourmet Monsters Heads To Nintendo 3DS
» The Conduit heads to Android

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Retired Cryptocloud forum :: Cryptocloud.org :: Rants and Raves-
Jump to: